I love chicken and dumplings! I always thought it sounded great. And then when I mastered it (actually not that hard), I was ecstatic!! I made them regularly. Until I went gluten free. Then I didn’t make them for a really long time…
One of the first gluten free recipes I tried was a biscuit recipe. And once I made those a couple times, and got it where I wanted, I knew I could have chicken and dumplings again!
Because it’s that easy! Chicken soup and biscuits. It’s border-line good for you if you aren’t watching your carbs. 😉
I usually make this after I’ve roasted a chicken, with the leftovers. After I cook the chicken for dinner, I usually chop up the rest of the meat and freeze it to use as leftover chicken later on. Since it’s already diced you can throw it in frozen without having to wait for it to thaw enough to cut up!
The really cool thing about gluten free…?
The dumplings never get soggy!!!!!!!!!
For reals… You can make this, and heat it up for lunch the next day. In fact it works GREAT in the Lunch Crock.
- 1 quart chicken bone broth
- 2 c diced chicken
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1-2 t sea salt (more or less to taste and depending on if broth is salted)
- 1 small onion or 1/2 medium onion
- 3-4 carrots, sliced
- 2 stalks celery
- 1/2 batch of biscuits
- Peel onion and garlic
- Chop fresh veggies
- Put chicken and broth in 2 quart or larger pan, and turn on low heat
- Press garlic into pan (chop if you don't have a garlic press)
- Add salt and veggies
- Bring to a gentle simmer, stirring frequently
- Drop biscuits dough in by spoonfuls, making sure to keep them even in size
- Cover and return to a simmer
- Simmer gently for 20 minutes
- Turn off heat and let sit 5-10 minutes to cool
- Make sure to use a wider pan, to have dumpling floating room!
- Double to have lunch leftovers